Okay, so.. This was very very popular on Korean social media. I’m a bit late on this trend but I had to try it!! It’s so beautiful!!
Look at the color! My husband said it reminds him of the rock candies in the States. and he is right! It’s like rock candy on the outside but the inside is like JELLY. Crunchy outside and jelly-like inside. Texture is very fun and interesting.
Color is beautiful. You don’t have to make it look like gradient like I did. You can divide the mixture and color with one shade. But I love the look of having different color and kind of getting mixed- if that makes sense.
The taste isn’t the best. I mean some will like this but I just don’t want to waste my calories (not that I count them.. haha) on PURE sugar candy. I would rather eat chocolate cake with that. It just tastes like sugar.
BUT! You need to make it at least once in your lifetime. This was so fun to make.
I kept it in a mason jar. It looks so pretty with different colors. It’s actually sitting on my dining table right now. because I LOVE THE COLORS SO MUCHHHH!
Here is how you make
KOHAKUTOU (JAPANESE JELLY CANDY)
WATER 1 1/3 cups
SUGAR 2 cups
AGAR POWDER 10g
FOOD COLORING (I used pink, yelllow, purple, and green)
1. Add water and agar powder in a pot and bring it up to boil.
2. When it starts boiling, add sugar. Stir well. Remove from the heat once it’s bubbling.
3. Pour it on to a pan.
4. Get some coloring on a toothpick and add the color by swirling around.
5. Put it in the fridge for 2 hours to solidify.
6. When it’s hard, break it into little pieces and place it on the wax paper.
7. Let it dry in room temperature for 5-6 days. (Flip the candy mid way)